Useful Contacts

Legal & Practical Advice

We have only listed organisations providing free advice.

We would suggest you speak to a Students’ Union Adviser first. We’re free, independent, confidential and we’re well-trained (we think!). It’s usually quicker to get help from us to start with, and if we think you need more specialist support, we can help you find it. Here, we’ve highlighted organisations that are generally-useful, but you may also want to look at the Useful Information sections relevant to your particular needs.

Remember that you may need to pay for advice and assistance if you contact a solicitor or barrister, if you are not eligible for legal aid services.

Including advice on academic, debt, finance, housing and other issues
Students’ Union, University of Greenwich
GK Unions
Greenwich Citizens Advice Bureau
Medway Citizens Advice Bureau
Medway: University of Kent Legal Advice Clinic


Citizens Advice



Citizens Advice Consumer Service
Telephone: 03454 04 05 06
(Mon - Fri, 9am – 5pm)



Contact your Students' Union Advice Service first!
National Debtline
Greenwich CAB Money Advice Service
Telephone: 020 8309 8646
Meridian Money Advice
Telephone: 020 8293 3432
Medway CAB
Telephone: 020 8309 8646
Christians Against Poverty
Telephone: 020 8309 8646



Greenwich Association of Disabled People
Telephone: 020 8305 2221
Greenwich MIND



Equality Advisory & Support Service



Ascent Information & Referral Line (London, women)
Telephone: 020 7683 1270
National Domestic Violence Helpline
Telephone: 0808 2000 247
Male victims
Telephone: 0808 801 0327
Her Centre (Woolwich based)
Telephone: 020 3260 7715
Greenwich Domestic Violence Agency
Telephone: 020 8317 8273
Kent & Medway



University of Greenwich Legal Advice Clinic
Telephone: 020 8331 9947
ACAS (Advice, Conciliation & Arbitration)
Telephone: 08457 47 47 47



Telephone: 0808 800 44 44
Greenwich Housing Rights
Telephone: 020 8854 8848



Find an OISC-approved adviser
(check if you have to pay for advice)
Find a legal adviser




Telephone: 08457 90 90 90



Telephone: 0207 631 0101




Victim Support (England & Wales)
Telephone: 0808 16 89 111


Academic Advice & Guidance

Students Union Advice Service (Greenwich & Avery Hill students)
GK Unions Advice Service (Medway students)
Gov UK Website
OIA (Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education)
Students’ Union: Programme Reps
University AccessAbility Project
University support for Care Leavers
University Disability & Dyslexia Team
Telephone: 020 8331 7875
University International Student Advice Service
Greenwich Language Connect
English conversational groups
University Listening Ears
Support and signposting from volunteer University staff
Greenwich Maths Centre
University Student Centres
University Study Skills support
Telephone: 020 8331 9894/7866 (Maritime Greenwich)
020 8331 8911 (Avery Hill & Medway)
University Student Services A-Z

Employment & Volunteering

ACAS (Advice, Conciliation & Arbitration Service)
Employment advice helpline; support in the workplace; detailed information on employment rights on website
Telephone: 08457 47 47 47
Citizens’ Advice Advice Guide
Advice and guidance on employment rights, consumer rights and other common welfare problems
Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS)
Some jobs (for example teaching, nursing, social work) require a DBS check. Phone or see the website for further information.
Telephone: 0870 909 0811
SUUG Employability & Volunteering Toolkit
Apply to volunteer through Volunteers Centre Greenwich; record employment and work experience; log your volunteer hours towards University & SU recognition.
Telephone: 0870 909 0811
Equality & Human Rights Commission
No longer provides an advice helpline, but useful information on the website.
Employment Tribunals
General guidance on ET procedure, and online forms.
Employment Appeals Tribunal judgements website
Good starting-point to find information on Government services and welfare support.
Guidance & Employability Team (GET)
University support for careers guidance and employability, and the Jobshop service.
Telephone: 020 8331 8810
Health & Safety Executive
The UK independent regulator for work-related health, safety and illness. See the website for good practice, and information on when things go wrong.
Telephone: 08701 545500
HM Revenue & Customs
Paying tax may not be pleasant, but if you’ve got to do it, check you’re paying the right amount. Useful information on Tax & National Insurance.
Low Pay Commission
Leading source of information and advice on the rights of low paid workers.
Maternity Action
Free advice for mums AND dads concerned about their rights to work, benefits, tax credits & health care.
Telephone: 020 7324 4740
TUC (Trades Union Congress)
Information on Trades Unions and how to join one.
Telephone: 020 7079 6920
University of Greenwich Legal Advice Clinic
Advice by appointment on Employment Law and procedure
Telephone: 020 8331 9947
Volunteer Work
Check the SU Employability webpages for information on local volunteer work, and the NAVCA database for details of your local Volunteers Centre.

Health & Healthy Living

Medical emergencies?
Telephone: Phone 999
Non-urgent medical advice?
Telephone: 111
General NHS services
Local NHS Mental Health services
Find local services
Telephone: 08457 90 90 90
Healthy Living
Drink Aware
NHS Student Health - Smoking, Alcohol and Drugs
Talk to Frank
Give Us A Buzz
Lifeline Basis
Quit Now - Smokefree
Quit Now - NHS Live Well
Quit Now - Nicorette
Quit With Help
NHS Student Health - Exercise and Study
Mental Health
NHS Mental Health
Anxiety UK
Big White Wall
Cruse Bereavement Care
Depression Alliance
Mental Health
No Panic
Pregnancy & Maternity
NHS - Pregnancy and Baby
Sexual Health
Greenwich Sexual Health
Medway Sexual Health
University Support Services


Students’ Union Advice Service (Greenwich & Avery Hill)
GK Unions Advice Service (Medway students)
Shelter (housing advice)
Telephone: 0808 800 44 44
University of Greenwich Accommodation
London Student Housing Guide
Accredited Residential Lettings Agents
Gas Safety Register
Properties advertised for students, commonly shared accommodation
Information on local housing in Greenwich, including hostels

International Students

British Refugee Council
Home Office - Immigration and Nationality Directorate
University of Greenwich International Student Advice Service (ISAS)
University of Greenwich Chaplaincy Team
Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI)
Find an accredited immigration adviser
It is illegal to offer immigration advice if an adviser is not registered with the OISC. See the link for information.
University of Greenwich Language Connect
Refugee Legal Centre
Refugee Women’s Association
UK Council for International Student Affairs
Detailed information on living in the UK, and visa and immigration issues
Local interest


If you’re already in debt, try your Students’ Union first! We’re free, independent and confidential. It may take time to get an appointment with local services: we’ll usually work to deal with urgent situations and get them under control while you’re waiting.

Students Union Advice Service (Greenwich & Avery Hill students)
GK Unions Advice Service (Medway students)
University Money Doctor Service
To avoid getting into debt! For help with budgeting; checking your student finance entitlement; hardship funds; university bursaries and scholarships
Student Calculator & International Student Calculator
Advice and information from Citizens’ Advice on debt, benefits and other legal topics
Greenwich Credit Union
For low cost and affordable borrowing while you’re at Uni and after, at below-market rates. If you need to borrow, check your student finance entitlement first, and get advice on alternatives.
Money Advice Service
National debt and finance advice service.
Money Saving Expert
Information on cutting costs and discounts for services.
National Debtline
Free, independent and confidential.
NUS Extra Cards
The Student Money Manual
Student Loans Company
Student finance generally
Checking benefit entitlement
Other useful websites

Student Safety

Students Union Advice Service (Greenwich & Avery Hill students)
GK Unions Advice Service (Medway students)
Victim Support
Including information on local services. Support includes crime prevention, counselling for victim of crime, and assistance with Criminal Injuries Compensation applications.
Beat the Burglar
Tips on keeping your home safe. Try the interactive guide!
Send a text to book your nearest licensed cab
Reporting crimes, and information on keeping safe.
Drink Aware
General information and advice on responsible drinking, including information for students.
Domestic Violence
Night safety in London
Personal Safety
Protect your property
Register your valuables to aid recovery in the event of a theft.
Rape Crisis England & Wales
Student Safety